Music without good speakers is a glass half empty.
These Bluetooth bookshelf speakers can transform the way your music sounds and fill your life with optimism again.
Oh, and they’ll look great nestled in among your books too.
Check them out!
How We Chose The Best Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
Our criteria for choosing bluetooth bookshelf speakers were:
- Sound quality. If they sound like tinny garbage, they don’t make the list. Bookshelf speakers aren’t as bassy as floorstanding speakers but they need to have enough bass to make it work.
- Value for money. We expect more from a $400 speaker than a $90 speaker, simple as that.
- Decent Bluetooth support. We don’t want to have to reconnect to our playback devices every ten minutes.
Our Best Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
Audioengine HD3 Wireless Speaker
Audioengine is our new favorite speaker brand. They hail from Texas and they’re all about delivering excellence in sound.
These 60 Watt speakers are powerful enough to make your tunes come alive without shaking the bookshelf to pieces in the process.
They have a superb 100 foot range which means you can place them pretty much anywhere in the vicinity of your playback device.
They can also be used wired if you want to and they come with all the cables you’ll need to make the work.
1. Analog amplifiers make these a huge step up on many cheaper speakers
2. These speakers are genuinely gorgeous to look at and look great in any room
3. Their output is excellent and reliable with no fall off or interruptions
1. The base plate on the powered speaker tends to get a bit warm
2. Some users with a Mac Mini report bluetooth problems but this seems to be unique to that device
3. Not quite as bassy as some folks prefer but there was enough bass for us
Edifier R1700BTs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
Edifier is a really solid brand carving out a reputation for delivering a quality product for a reasonable price and, by and large, this is what they’ve done here.
The 2-year warranty for parts and labor is nice, though we’d like to have seen a no quibble trial period too and unlike the Audioengine warranty, it’s not transferable.
The improved wireless remote is great and it’s very easy to customize the listening experience without too much hassle.
It will support two devices simultaneously which is handy though some people may find this isnt’ enough.
The sound is clean and decent with a similar bass level to the Audioengine model but at the price of a weaker middle.
1. These are a very cost-efficient bookshelf speaker and there’s no doubt that they offer value
2. They look amazing considering the low price and will be great on your bookshelf
3. They come with a decent warranty
1. You do get what you pay for and the sound is clean and decent but not exceptional
2. The Bluetooth is not shielded which can lead to other devices connecting at random
3. Might be best paired with a subwoofer if you want a bassier feel
Kanto YU4 140W Powered Bookshelf Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp
These Kanto speakers are superbly attractive and they’re very well made, the drivers are made from Kevlar (yes, the stuff they make bullet proof vest out of) and in combination with the silk dome tweeters they produce a beautiful sound.
They’re also designed with kindness to the planet in mind and you’ll find their power saving features are second-to-none when it comes to the speakers in our round up.
They support Qualcommm’s aptX technology which means you can easily stream from your favorite streaming service or free music app from the palm of your hand.
The YU4 remote control is excellent too and makes it very easy to take control of the sound without needing to read the manual first.
1. Very good looking speaker system that will suit any room
2. The Qualcomm aptX support means you get the most out of your Bluetooth devices
3. The inbuilt phono pre-amp is a nice touch for the vinyl fans
1. They’re quite expensive for bookshelf speakers
2. They’re a bit taller than most bookshelf speakers which may be an issue depending on your bookshelf
3. They lose a bit of sound quality when they hit “full blast”
BESTISAN Bookshelf Speakers
For those on a very tight budget, the BESTISAN Bookshelf speakers might be the right option. These can’t compete with the other models in our round up for sound quality but the sound isn’t bad, either.
We did like that they come with a music, movies and dialogue (audiobooks) mode so that you can simplify your listening sound profiles for each.
They are also very easy to set up and we found connecting them to a soundbar and then to another device via Bluetooth was simple and straightforward.
They have a fairly “retro” look about them which means they may not appeal to all tastes but we thought that they were quite attractive.
The remote is very easy to use too.
1. Super cheap for bookshelf speakers
2. They look good on our bookshelves and the sound output is OK
3. They’ve got a decent remote control
1. The bass is very weak, indeed
2. The Bluetooth connection can be fairly easily broken and then needs setting up again
3. No formal warranty, though if you buy through Amazon their returns policy offers some protection
Edifier R1280DBs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
Edifier makes some excellent speakers and if you want an all black bookshelf speaker system that offers a decent but not spectacular level of output at a very fair price, this is the speaker system for you.
As with all Edifier products they come with a 2-year parts and labor warranty but you can’t return these speakers if you don’t like them.
We were impressed with the sound and these may, actually, be the bassiest speakers in our round up.
What we weren’t so impressed with was the documentation which was among the worst instruction manuals we’ve ever had the misfortune to read.
Fortunately, common sense will get the job done better than the manual and it’s pretty easy to set up anyway.
1. Incredibly good value
2. Classic black speaker will definitely appeal to some folks
3. The bass is much better than we’d expected
1. Dreadful instruction manual
2. Only supports one Bluetooth device at a time
3. It’s very easy to hit maximum volume without showing a bit of care with the controls
Final Thoughts On The Best Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
So, there you have it, our favorite bluetooth bookshelf speakers, we think they’re guaranteed to increase your listening pleasure.
Why not check them out today in your local audio store or order them from Amazon?